Home About Me Unit Studies Family Fun Travel Recipes Contact Me

Friday, July 10, 2009

Maple Glazed Brussels Sprouts


A few months back, I blogged about my experience roasting Brussels sprouts. I had a recipe for Balsamic Roasted Sprouts, but unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with how how they turned out. The main problem was that they weren't tender and were still somewhat bitter. I wondered if steaming them before roasting would help.

My good friend Angela left a comment with her favorite recipe for Brussels sprouts, which included cooking them in a skillet with chicken broth until tender. I decided to make another attempt with this unloved vegetable.

The first thing I did was to saute some onions and garlic in olive oil until tender. Then I tossed in my sprouts. Their outer layers had been peeled off, the stems cut, and the sprouts split in half lengthwise. After letting them marry with the onions and garlic for a few moments, I added a bit of balsamic vinaigrette, a dash or two of wine, and some water. (I didn't have any chicken stock on hand.) Placing the lid on the skillet, I waited for the sprouts to become tender.

After a taste test, I decided the sprouts still tasted bitter so I decided to place them in a baking dish and drizzle with maple syrup. A quick toss with some salt and pepper and they were ready to roast in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes.

The final product was a dish I could actually say I enjoyed.

If you have a recipe for Brussels sprouts, I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Trish H. Design's "Merry Go Round" kit.