Home About Me Unit Studies Family Fun Travel Recipes Contact Me

Monday, July 27, 2009

Homemade Strawberry Jam


I found some strawberries on sale this week, but we've found the strawberries lately to be kind of mushy. Jam seemed like the best way to use the berries. It would save me from having to buy some at the store. I decided to use a recipe without pectin, but you can easily add it if you choose.

~ Strawberry Jam ~

2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled
3 1/2 cups of sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

After hulling the strawberries, I mashed them in a bowl and put them in my blender. My boys do not like "chunks" in their jam so I pureed the berries until smooth. Then I placed them in a large cooking pot with the sugar and lemon juice and mixed. Once I had a rolling boil going, I cooked them for about 10 - 15 minutes. You're looking for a temperature of 220 degrees F. I don't own a thermometer so I just guessed.

Earlier I had sterilized my canning jars and lids by placing them in boiling water for ten minutes. I poured the jam into the jar and placed the lids on top. They were then returned to the hot bath water and boiled for another ten minutes to seal them.

Afterwards, I got out some scrap material I had and made the jars all pretty. I wonder if my husband will appreciate the beauty when one of my jars arrives down in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Trish H. Design's "Merry Go Round" kit.